Plug-In Car Grant
A complete guide that covers what the plug-in car grant is and how you can claim it to reduce the cost of your plug-in vehicle by up to £4,500
What is the plug-in car grant?
The government plug-in car grant is designed to promote the uptake of electric vehicles in the UK.
The grant provides up to £4,500 towards the cost of an eligible plug-in vehicle.
- The plug-in car grant applies at the time of purchase and is usually given as a discount off the purchase price of a vehicle.
- The grant will be offered until 2018.
What does the plug-in car grant offer electric car drivers?
- The plug-in car grant reduces the cost of eligible fully electric vehicles by up to £4,500.
- The grant also applies to eligible plug-in hybrid vehicles, up to £2,500.
- Applicable to new vehicles up to a value of £60,000.
How do I qualify for the plug-in car grant?
To qualify for the plug-in car grant, you need to purchase a qualifying electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle from 1st March 2016 onwards.
- Most full electric and plug-in hybrids vehicles are eligible for the grant.
- If fully electric, the vehicle must have a range of at least 70 miles.
- The vehicle must be chosen from the list of eligible vehicles.
Which cars are eligible for the plug-in car grant?
The vast majority of plug-in vehicles available in the UK today are eligible for the grant.
Eligible Electric Vehicles:
- BMW i3
- BYD e6
- Citroen CZero
- Ford Focus Electric
- Hyundai IONIQ Electric
- Kia Soul EV
- Mahindra e20
- Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive
- Nissan e-NV200 (5-seater and 7-seater)
- Nissan LEAF
- Peugeot iON
- Renault Fluence
- Renault ZOE
- Smart fortwo electric drive
- Tesla Model S
- Tesla Model X
- Toyota Mirai
- Volkswagen e-up!
- Volkswagen e-Golf
Eligible Hybrid Vehicles:
- Audi A3 e-tron
- BMW 225xe
- BMW 330e
- Kia Optima Saloon PHEV
- Mercedes-Benz C350 e (with 17 inch rear wheels)
- Mercedes-Benz E350 e SE
- Mitsubishi Outlander (except GX3h 4Work)
- Toyota Prius Plug-in
- Vauxhall Ampera
- Volkswagen Golf GTE
- Volkswagen Passat GTE
- Volvo V60 D5 Twin Engine
- Volvo V60 D6 Twin Engine
- Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine Momentum
How do I claim the plug-in car grant?
The grant is applied at the time of purchase and your manufacturer will guide you through the application process.